As a health professional and hypnotherapist for many years, and as an artist, I am acutely aware of the healing potential of creativity, both for the artist and the viewer of the art. Using vibrant and rich colors, my paintings in watercolor, mixed water media, pastels and collage reflect my belief in the interconnectedness of all living beings, and celebrate the healing aspects of that connection. To my way of thinking, art, like life, is an exploration of unending potential and possibilities.
My work has been shown in many shows and galleries in Virginia and my paintings are in private collections in many states in the US, and in Bermuda, Germany, Switzerland, and Italy. Currently my work is on display in several galleries and shops throughout Virginia.
I have traveled extensively and that is reflected in many of my paintings. I also design jewelry and teach painting and creativity. As a Middle Eastern Belly Dancer and International Folk dancer myself, I find great pleasure in painting dancers. I am available to do general commission work: regular portraits, portraits of dancers in costume, portraits of a person as a fairy or in other guises, and paintings of a favorite place or of your home or pet. I can work from photos as needed.
My work is always growing and changing. I love exploring new methods and listening to the inner messages of my heart that guide me in expressing my creativity in new and exciting ways.
I sign my work Angeletta, combining my name, Angela, with my mother’s name, Etta, to honor her. She was an artist who never had the opportunity to develop her talents.
EDUCATION IN ART
Workshops and seminars with Robert Burridge, Carla O’Conner, Don Andrews, Tom Lynch, Jan Ledbetter, Paul McCormick, Gerry Lee Wertheimer and other noted Private lessons with others. Overseas studies in Italy and Guatemala. Local classes at Peninsula Fine Arts Center, Charles Taylor Art Center, and Christopher Newport University and many other classes with noted instructors.
- 1963 Queen’s Hospital Center School of Nursing: RN degree
- 1992: Old Dominion University, Bachelor of Arts Summa Cum Laude
- 1994: Old Dominion University, Master of Arts
- Certified Hypnotherapist, Yoga Teacher, Healing Touch, Guided Musical Imagery, and Mandala Art Therapy
GALLERIES AND OTHER VENUES
- Riverview Gallery, "The Dog Show", Portsmouth, Virginia, October 2010
- Celebration of the Arts, First Baptist Church of Hampton, Hampton, Virginia, 2010
- Blue Skies Gallery, Hampton, Virginia
- Peninsula Fine Arts Center Gift Shop
- City of Norfolk Gift Shop
- Riverview Gallery Floral Show
- Pembroke 4 Art Gallery, "Feathers, Furs & Fins"
- Medical College of Virginia, “Arts in Health Care Exhibit”
- March through April, 2010, Richmond, Virginia
- The Galleria, November 2009, Yorktown, Virginia
- The Poquosan Library, Poquosan, Virginia, 2007
- The Yorktown Library Tabb Branch, 2006
- Unity Fellowship, Newport News, 2005, 2006, and 2009
- Wachovia Bank, Poquosan, Virginia 2005 and 2006
- Warwick Gardens, Newport News, VA 2006
- BB and T Bank Poquosan, 2006
- Universalist Unitarian Fellowship, Newport News 2006
SELECTED JURIED SHOWS
- Feathers, Fins, and Fur, Pembroke 4 Gallery, April-July 2010
- Arts in Health Care, MCV 2010
- The Art of Survival at Artworks in Richmond, Virginia
- Miniature Show at Hermitage Museum in Norfolk, Virginia 2006 and 2007
- Yorktown Arts Festival, Yorktown, Virginia 2007
- Art on the Square, Williamsburg, Virginia 2007
- Tidewater Art Alliance, 2007
- Phoebus Women’s Show 2006
- Art of Survival, Richmond, VA 2007 to 2009
- Small Works: Miniatures by Hampton Roads Artists, Invitational Show at the Charles's Taylor Art Center, Hampton, VA, 2010
- Singer/Songwriter Festival April 2010-decorated guitar for art auction fund raiser
- Tactile Art for the Blind at the Muscarelle Museum in Williamsburg, Virginia invited to create a tactile version of a painting, Raising The Red Lantern by Huin Li, at the museum for a special project for people who have none or very limited vision.
- Holiday Show Peninsula Fine Arts Center 2007
- The Night the Stars Came Out-Fundraiser for Domestic Abuse Shelter, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
HONORS & Awards
SELECTED GROUP SHOWS
- Charles Taylor Art Center: 2005 through present
- Tidewater Art Association 2004 through 2008
- Gallery at York Hall Gallery 2006 through 2009
- Yorktown Gallery, 2005 through 2009
- Poquosan Art League Shows 2004 through present
DANCE WORK SHOP SHOWS
- 2004 through present various locations in North Carolina, Virginia, and Arizona
- Michael's Store in Newport News: Acrylic Art Workshops, 2010
- Workshop: Heart Collage: An Inner Journey for Tidewater Arts Outreach, April 10, 2010
- Fine Art Series of Classes for Chart Pac, Inc at Michael’s Stores
- Private students (children and adults)
- Tidewater Arts Outreach, Various Retreats and Workshops, Domestic Abuse Shelters, nursing homes and assisted living centers.
- Warwick Assisted Living Residents
- Poquosan Art League
- Hampton Art League
- Tidewater Art Association
- Peninsula Fine Arts Center
- Sacred Art Circle
- Eastern Virginia Medical School (Assistant Professor- retired )
- Old Dominion University –adjunct instructor
- Many community presentations-all levels of learners.
WORK SHOP FACILITATOR:
- Teaching the Adult Learner; Discovering Your Creativity; Retreat, Rest, and Renew; Overcoming Public Speaking Fears and others. Award Winning Public Speaker.
- Managed The Gallery at The Galleria, Yorktown, Virginia in 2009 and currently manages the Poquosan Art League Display at Blue Skies Gallery in Hampton, Virginia
- Tidewater Arts Outreach-presenting and teaching visual arts programs to populations who are not able to leave their residences to view art.
- Many donations of my work to charitable organizations, such as American Diabetes Association, Link for the Homeless, Virginia Symphony, and Art Alternatives, Relay Life, etc.
- Portraits and commission design work
- Also design and sell jewelry.